Monday 31 January 2011

Present perfect simple & continuous

The present perfect simple is used to talk about results, states and single events.

I have read 3 books
I have been married for 7 years
I have been to Spain

Structure

+       subject + have/has + 3rd form
-        subject + haven't/hasn't + 3rd form
?        have/has + subject + 3rd form

We often use it to talk about things that have happened in the past without saying when. As soon as you can identify 'when' or you talk about a specific time you should switch to the past simple.

A 'I've been to Spain.'
B  'Really, when did you go?'


The present perfect continuous is often used to talk about the duration of an action - it is less common that the simple form

I have been waiting here for 3 hours

+      subject + have/has + been + verb-ing
-       subject + haven't/hasn't + been + verb-ing
?       have/has + subject + been + verb-ing

Has she been waiting long?

No comments:

Post a Comment